Venturi Wet Scrubbers
Clean and Reclaim
Typically used for the removal of fine particulate, venturi scrubbers maximize collection while minimizing operating and maintenance costs. The design is simple. The differential between high velocity gases and free-flowing water creates droplets which entrap contaminants, hold them in suspension and deliver them as a slurry.
The Sly Venturi Scrubber is multifaceted. First, it removes pollutants present in process gas streams, including hazardous and nuisance dusts. Process gas streams are then cleaned to remove oils, dusts and other particulate, allowing these gases to be recycled as fuels or process raw materials. Finally, the Sly Venturi Scrubber provides an opportunity to reclaim valuable materials, for additional process savings.
The laws of physics dictate the design of Sly's Venturi Scrubber. Three components are required for an effective and efficient system.
- Converging Inlet: The gas enters the converging section. As the space decreases gas velocity increases
- Venturi Throat: Forced to move at extremely high velocities in the small throat section, the inlet gas shears the liquid from its walls, producing an increasing number of tiny droplets.
- Expander Section: Particle and gas removal occur as the inlet gas stream mixes with the fog of tiny liquid droplets. The velocity of the inlet gas slows to recover energy. The gas is directed to a cyclonic separator/mist eliminator where the liquid is separated from the gas stream.
Venturi scrubbers are the most widely used of all wet scrubbers for good reason:
- Open construction enables venturis to remove most particles without plugging or scalding.
- Adjustable throat to optimize efficiency.
- Designed to collect particles at very high collection efficiencies, sometimes exceeding 99%.
- Capable of handling large inlet volumes at high temperatures.
- Reduction of particulate emissions.
- Abrasion resistant flooded elbow design deters scrubber wear.
- Designed to minimize total water consumption using an integral sump or separate recirculation system.
- An adjustable pressure drop provision along with an energy regain feature combine to reduce power consumption and operating costs.
Sly's Venturi Scrubbers
are available in various sizes and dimensions to suit your application. For more detail on the design and workings of the venturi scrubber, read Sly's Product Manager, Dwayne Sanders' article.